The UK’s Most Expensive Number Plates…!
Buy a personalised number plate with help from Logbook Loans…
Have you ever thought about getting a personalised number plate?
At Logbook Loans we appreciate that this is an issue that can divide opinion.
Some people can’t see the point. A car is a car after all: it gets you from A to B so why do you need to bother about what is actually on the number plate?
But others who love their cars beg to differ. A personalised number plate identifies that car as yours, and reflects something of your personality to all who see it. Whether you choose a number plate that derives from your name, describes the car itself, or conveys some kind of message, a personalised number plate can make your car that little bit more special.
So what would your ideal personalised number plate be? And how would you go about getting one?
How to buy a personalised number plate
It is actually quite easy to purchase a personalised number plate. All you need to do is buy a new number – either from DVLA, a DVLA auction or a private seller – then apply to the DVLA to assign that number to your vehicle. Once this is done you can get a number plate made up and fix it to your vehicle. Job done!
But how do you choose your number in the first place? DVLA have a search facility where you can enter the number you want and it will confirm whether or not it is available. If it is available the price will be displayed and you can go ahead with the purchase. If not, it will suggest other alternatives and also display a list of auctions coming up in your area.
However there are a couple of issues with buying a personalised number plate. The first is that many personalised number plates already exist. In 2017, 374968 were sold in the UK alone. So it may not be possible to find your ideal combination.
The second is that they can be very costly. If you buy direct from the DVLA prices can run from a couple of hundred pounds up to a few thousand. Buying from an auction can work out either cheaper or more expensive depending on what you and others are willing to pay on the day.
Buying a personalised number plate privately can be even more expensive as these often tend to be rare and desirable examples – sometimes with four, five or even six-figure sums being asked.
Generally speaking, the fewer characters a personalised number plate has, the more expensive it will be. Also bear in mind that number plates resembling popular names will be in demand and therefore more expensive, as will number plates that contain reference to expensive cars – such as Porsche 911.
The UK’s most expensive number plates
But what are the UK’s most expensive number plates? Here are ten of them:
- 25 O – £518,000: this number plate was purchased by Ferrari dealer John Collins in 2014 and is believed to adorn a Ferrari 250SWB once owned by Eric Clapton
- F 1 – £440,000: this was purchased by Bradford businessman Afzal Khan in 2008 for his McLaren-Mercedes SLR. This number plate was listed for sale in 2018 for just under £15 million. The owner has so far rejected an offer of £10 million!
- S 1 – £404,000: This is claimed to be Scotland’s first ever number plate. It belongs to an anonymous bidder and believed to be fixed to a Skoda.
- 1 D – £352,000: This one actually precedes the existence boy band One Direction! It was purchased in Warwickshire by Lebanese businessman Nabil Bishara.
- M 1 – £331,000: This one was purchased in 2006 by mobile phone businessman Mike McCoomb, apparently for his 10 year-old son.
- VIP 1 – £285,000: This number plate – owned by owner of Chelsea FC boss Roman Abramovich – was used on the Popemobile when the Pope visited Ireland in 2018.
- 51 NGH – £254,000: This was purchased in the UK in 2006; the buyer is thought to be from the Sikh community,
- 1 RH – £247,000: This plate sold in 2006 for more than expected by businessman Robert Harverson, who wanted a number plate with his initials.
- K1 NGS – £231,000: This royal-sounding plate is believed to have been purchased by an an Arab Sultan in 1993.
- 1 0 – £170,000: This minimalist plate proved popular when it was purchased in Northamptonshire in 2009.
So if you are planning to buy a personalised number plate then you may well need to count the cost!
If you need help with the purchase, or with any other aspect of your personal finances then do check out the range of loans that Logbook Loans can offer to see how we may be able to help your dream come true.